Responding to Big Life Changes
House Ad

Dog Channel
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » All About Dogs » Dog Behavior and Training » Responding to Big Life Changes Join the Club

Responding to Big Life Changes Expand / Collapse
Author

DogChannel.com Moderator

DogChannel.com ModeratorDogChannel.com ModeratorDogChannel.com ModeratorDogChannel.com ModeratorDogChannel.com ModeratorDogChannel.com ModeratorDogChannel.com ModeratorDogChannel.com Moderator

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 5/4/2011 2:09:02 PM
Some of life's big changes are equally hard on our pets. The March issue of Dog Fancy features an article on how life changes (such as a divorce, a move, a new baby) can affect our dogs.

Have you had to help your dog cope with any big change? Did you notice your dog acting differently after a major life change? Share your story and check out the article in the March issue, on newsstands 2/1!

-DogMod

Post #63145
Posted 1/12/2011 5:48:03 AM

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Peer Moderator
Last Login: 6/18/2012 8:30:53 AM
the biggest change my dogs have to go through is the new addition of puppies every year. Either with the new guide dog puppy fosters, which change every year or the occasional litter of puppies. They take the new addition just fine, I think they are so used to it doesnt bother them.

Post #63157
Posted 1/12/2011 11:08:04 AM

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Member
Last Login: 8/19/2013 7:52:46 PM
My boyfriend might have a job out in OH, and I might move with him.It all depends on if there are any pet friendly apartments available. I told him straight out that Star goes with me or I stay here. If I do move, I have no idea how star will handle the 5 hour drive...then new place. He has lived in same place in the past 16 years. No idea how he would take to it, if he'd be stressed or not. Maybe not if I was with him?

---------------------
Star: 18 year old, American Eskimo.
Ray: hamster ; Jeremy: hamster
Jerri: hamster

My other loves:
'06 Pontiac GTO, blue on blue
'04 Mustang GT, screamin yellow
Post #63159
Posted 1/13/2011 5:16:18 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 11/21/2013 1:10:23 PM
The biggest change river has experienced was when I took a new job. The first two years I had him we were field partners; he was with me every minute of every day. He would spend 8 hrs a day, 20 days a month running around chasing bunnies in the northern nevada desert while I did my work. Now I've settled a bit and he has to stay home while I go to work. He's adjusted ok; he has my husbands dog to hang out with, and despite what they would have you believe, they enjoy each others company. We still get out and chase bunnies a couple of times a week and he is still in amazing shape-especially for a dog his size. (Please know only one bunny in 5 years has been harmed in the making of rivers life- his faster friend knocked it down and river took care of the details. He then got tapeworm, so I don't recommend it) all in all, riv is a happy, mostly healthy boy livin the couch life now, and he likes it just fine!

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.    - ambrose bierce

Post #63164
Posted 1/25/2011 3:08:51 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 1/25/2011 3:08:32 PM
Pearl, a Jack Russell/Border Collie mix, came into our lives in 1995.  In March 2006 my husband was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  July of that same year, as the family surrounded him, I looked over and noticed her quivering; her back was to us.  I immediately sensed her grief and went to her.  She and my husband were inseparable.  I coaxed Pearl over to her master and she carefully licked his hand to say goodbye; she was so gentle.  It was heart-wrenching but I knew I did the right thing.  Animals grieve, too.  It took a while for her to get used to a "single parent" household but I kept talking to her and showing her pictures of "Daddy."  I slowly withdrew the daily references but nowadays when she sees a picture, her tail still wags.  She remembers and she smiles.  Through all of this though, she became my savior.  At almost 16 she keeps a total watch over me as if she's doing it for "Daddy!"

Penny Arsenault
Milford, NH
Post #63292
Posted 1/25/2011 3:20:13 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 1/5/2013 1:52:09 PM
perlnme (1/25/2011)
Pearl, a Jack Russell/Border Collie mix, came into our lives in 1995.  In March 2006 my husband was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  July of that same year, as the family surrounded him, I looked over and noticed her quivering; her back was to us.  I immediately sensed her grief and went to her.  She and my husband were inseparable.  I coaxed Pearl over to her master and she carefully licked his hand to say goodbye; she was so gentle.  It was heart-wrenching but I knew I did the right thing.  Animals grieve, too.  It took a while for her to get used to a "single parent" household but I kept talking to her and showing her pictures of "Daddy."  I slowly withdrew the daily references but nowadays when she sees a picture, her tail still wags.  She remembers and she smiles.  Through all of this though, she became my savior.  At almost 16 she keeps a total watch over me as if she's doing it for "Daddy!"

awww! that is sooo sweet!

i just read that article! my dogs havent really faced many new changes...but im sure this article will benefit my future!

To  find out about the Fighting Dog Campaign im doing......plz visit "Random Chat" and the topic "Fighting Dog Campaign" Thank you!

****PLZ STOP BY RUSTY'S, DILLION'S, JEZZY'S, AND ANGEL MAX'S PG AND PLZ GIVE THEM A VOTE! THX!****

Jezzy's pg #180322

Rusty's pg #180313

Dillion's pg #181215

Angel Max's pg #185738

thanks

Post #63293
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Suprafa, rainsmom, dc-moderator, DFKmod, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 9:37pm