Dog not eating much; new food suggestions?
House Ad

Dog Channel
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » All About Dogs » Dog Nutrition » Dog not eating much; new food suggestions? Join the Club

Dog not eating much; new food suggestions? Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Member
Last Login: 12/13/2010 5:53:32 PM
Our 18 month old mix breed is a rescue dog; she was dumped along a highway and turned into the police department I work at. We first got Purina; she ate half the bag or so, then quit eating it. My husband then tried a brand called Ol' Roy, which my dad has always used for their dogs. Again, she ate it (minus the parts that look like peas and carrots) for a while, the quit. It we mix a half a can with it, she'll eat the canned part and leave the dry. 

We are wanting to find something that she will eat that is more affordable than cans all the time. She eats the cats dry food so we're wondering if she would prefer the Iams minichunks, however i have heard mixed things on Iams.

She's starting to lose weight and we're concerned. Suggestions?

Post #62927
Posted 12/5/2010 5:33:15 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 3/14/2011 8:29:20 PM
 When we first got my dalmatian/lab/something I tried to feed her Pedigree dog food, but she not only stopped eating it, it made her throw up a lot. She wouldn't eat anything pretty soon. We switched her to Iams Proactive Health and she really likes those, plus everyone's always commenting on how glossy her fur is. So I think Iams is pretty good for dry food. The food she's eating could be making her queasy. Is she willing to eat things like scrambled eggs? (That's how my dog started eating again)

Brocolli: Good for your waistline, terrible for your social life.

Post #62931
Posted 12/6/2010 4:01:29 AM

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Peer Moderator
Last Login: 6/18/2012 8:30:53 AM
First I would have a vet check and make sure their is nothing wrong, a healthy dog will not starve herself. Cat food is not good for dogs. Its too high in protien which is not good on the kidneys.

As far as dog food Ol' Roy is a very bad food and purina isnt really much better. Iams is ok I still wouldnt feed it to my dogs. I feed Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice. It is corn and soy free so much better for them. Also it is fairly inexpencive 40 pounds for $25

If nothing is wrong medically with your dog then this is what I would do; put the food down for 15 minutes after that time the food gets taken away until next mealtime.  Personally I dont add stuff to my dogs food, the only exception is my pregnant female gets scrambled eggs or cottage cheese added to her diet. And believe me stud dogs can go off their food for several days when there is a girl in heat near by. He does loose weight, but I am not going to start a habit of him only wanting to eat if he gets goodies added to his food.

Now if your dog is sick, I would start him on a diet of boiled boneless skinless chicken breast and rice. Add pumpkin for any diahrrea. Gradually add dry food back to her diet.

Post #62934
Posted 12/6/2010 11:40:21 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 11/21/2013 1:10:23 PM
i agree, vet first. get a complete blood panel done, make sure things are normal in those departments. its something that isnt extremely expensive and very diagnostic. if all is well, i would try doing what rainsmom said about the 15min availablity. we dog sit my friends dog a lot and she free feeds him at home. the first day at our house he doesnt eat much, (we feed every day at 5) but every day after that he gets it. if he doesnt eat his food when its down, the other dogs would happily help him out. (it comes up first of course, but if they could, they would).

our dogs had been on purina pro for a year and a half, and one day River just couldnt tolerate it. vomited all of it for a week. swtiched him gradually to iams naturals and during the transition would only vomit the purina. hes done fine since. i know its not top shelf food, but its the best i can do where we live and theyre fine on it.

we recently fostered a pup dropped off at the pound who was VERY skinny. he wouldnt eat dry puppy food- tried to dress it up by soaking it in beef broth to no avail. he would eat around it when we mixed in half a can of wet. when we found him a home, he would eat the other dogs DOG food, but not the puppy food they gave him.

i hope your pup is healthy. that little foster pup we had was not, ended up having to euthanize, but that was a pretty bum deal. he had an auto-immune disorder that couldnt be reasonably treated. i hope your tale ends on a happier note!

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.    - ambrose bierce

Post #62936
Posted 12/7/2010 5:35:39 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 12/13/2010 5:53:32 PM
We took her to the vet yesterday as suggested. He said she appeared healthy and to try the Iams Minichunks. He said she may prefer the smaller pieces of food. She seems to be adjusting to it very well and avoided the other food alltogether as we had put both out to transition her. We have no idea what she had been fed before she came to us.

To clarify, we didn't let her eat the cats food =]  nor did they. My male cat tolerates her well, even tries to play with her...her paw is about 3/4 of his face so that doesn't last long. My husband's female cat is a little hateful harry with her though & very defensive of her space. They do well keeping her out of their food bowls.

We will definitely do the 15 minute window as suggested. Thanks so much all; I'll keep you posted in a few weeks once we've been able to assess how she's doing with it.

Post #62945
Posted 12/8/2010 3:31:15 AM

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

I am glad to hear she is fine. All of my dogs have ate catfood at least once before I moved it to a closet where they can not get to.

Post #62946
Posted 12/12/2010 6:25:39 PM

Last Login: 3/14/2011 8:29:20 PM
rainsmom (12/6/2010)
As far as dog food Ol' Roy is a very bad food and purina isnt really much better. Iams is ok I still wouldnt feed it to my dogs. I feed Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice. It is corn and soy free so much better for them. Also it is fairly inexpencive 40 pounds for $25.

What? That's cheaper than what I pay for Iams! Where do you get it? Petsmart? *instantly searches online petsmart store*

Brocolli: Good for your waistline, terrible for your social life.

Post #62964
Posted 12/13/2010 5:20:33 AM

Supreme Being

I get mine at Tractor Supply Company (TSC) because we have one in our city. They also have it at Pet Supplies Plus, but that is a half an hour drive for me, which isnt bad, but I dont want to have to go that far especially in the winter.

Post #62969
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Suprafa, rainsmom, dc-moderator, DFKmod, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 2:28pm