Have Your Say About Raw Food Diets
House Ad

Dog Channel
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Dog Channel Central » DOG FANCY Extras » Have Your Say About Raw Food Diets Join the Club

Have Your Say About Raw Food Diets Expand / Collapse
Author

DogChannel.com Moderator

DogChannel.com ModeratorDogChannel.com ModeratorDogChannel.com ModeratorDogChannel.com ModeratorDogChannel.com ModeratorDogChannel.com ModeratorDogChannel.com ModeratorDogChannel.com Moderator

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 5/4/2011 2:09:02 PM
The Spring 2010 issue of Natural Dog (on the flip side of DOG FANCY's May issue) takes an in-depth look at the benefits and drawbacks of feeding dogs a diet of raw food.

What do you think? Have your say here!

-DogMod

Post #60257
Posted 3/3/2010 3:32:33 PM

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Peer Moderator
Last Login: 6/18/2012 8:30:53 AM
I love raw for my dogs. I think it is a bit more challenging to feed, your not just pouring kibble in a bowl. And some dogs no matter how slow the transition does not do well on raw, my oldest for example gets sick, but the others do just fine.

Post #60259
Posted 3/9/2010 9:50:03 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Group: Forum Member
Last Login: 6/29/2010 9:39:46 AM
I have nothing bad to say about raw, but I don't think I'd ever feed it. I don't have the knowledge, time or money now or anytime soon. I do think that it is a healthy diet, if done right, but I don't think it is the miracle diet most raw feeders insist upon. I feed Orijen, which is a pretty quality kibble and that works for me. My dogs and my cats both look a million times better after switching from grocery store food to Orijen.

DoggieVogue.com Fashionable Dog Clothing & Accessories Dog Clothes | Dog Collars | Dog Toys
Post #60291
Posted 3/20/2010 4:42:04 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 3/29/2010 9:45:05 AM
We read the article in the natural dog spring mag regarding the raw diet.  We love it for our dogs and yes our 3 cats.  My husband sells raw pet food bison, turkey, beef w/ organ, chicken, and lamb.  Great improvement in our dogs for sure

Mark Huerth

Post #60396
Posted 3/24/2010 11:16:21 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 3/28/2010 4:31:30 PM
To All Those Feeding or Considering Feeding a Raw Food Diet-

I have been a veterinarian for 14 years, and definitely advocate health and well being of both my patients and clients. I read this article with interest and some concern, because some of the facts presented are absolutely not true, and I want to clarify for Dog Fancy readers.

I know you have seen improvement in the dogs coats and itching, and this may very well be due to allergies. You're right-many of the commercial foods do have grains and proteins that the dogs will react to, but there actually are many commercial foods now that are safe that do NOT have grains and have rabbit, venison, duck or even kangaroo protein.

A commercially prepared raw food diet will not mimick what is eaten in nature, because the food sources are derived from many animals and processed in a slaughterhouse, therefore increasing the chance for contamination. The incidence of this increases if the food is not "human grade". That said, food consumed in nature may also contain these pathogens and, yes, animals in the wild do die from these diseases too. Both commercial dry and canned foods also meet AAFCO requirements-any that don't should not be fed.

While it is true that about a third of dogs will normally carry Salmonella, this does not mean that they cannot be infected with OTHER strains of Salmonella or any other pathogen, and therefore shed this in the stool and infect family members.

Freezing will not kill bacteria and will only kill some parasites when frozen at very low temps for weeks. The only way to effectively kill E. Coli and Salmonella is to cook the food.

The length of the dog's intestinal tract and the stomach pH absolutely do not decrease the likelihood of infection with bacteria or parasites-we see this in practice, and studies do support the fact that dogs and cats eating raw food diets are more likely to shed pathogens than those not.

For further information, please refer to the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine site- and the Centers for Disease Control- .

I still like this magazine, but I want everyone to be cautious and aware of the risks of zoonotic disease if they choose to feed a raw diet.

Post #60429
Posted 3/25/2010 8:13:55 AM

Last Login: 7/19/2010 8:35:48 AM
 I know there is a some mixed feelings and opinions on the Raw Diet for dogs. I had some concerns when I started the Raw Diet over 3 years ago. I have a yellow Labrador Retriever that has had several health issues from allergies to stomach, to weight, and poor coat. I have always used some of the best foods but none of them, with the exception of a Grain Free Diet helped any. The Grain Free Diet made a huge difference in his overall health along with his allergies. With that improvement, the suggestion by a animal nutrionalist to try Raw came about.  

So I did and I have never even for a second regretted it. It has been the best thing I have ever done for my dog. I have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars in vet bills to deal with my dog's health problems and when I went to a Raw Diet I was able to cut those bills down 50 to 75%. The Raw Diet is more costly than other diets but the money I save in vet bills makes up the difference.

His stomach issues of been diminished to nothing, his coat is totally amazing, his eyes are bright again, his weight is drastically improved, he has more energy, and his food allergies are 110% under control. His conventional vet was very skeptical at first but after all the incredible improvements supports the Diet for him.  My dog also has a Holistic Vet who highly recommends a Raw Diet and prefers her patients to be on it.

I can only speak from experience and results that I have witnessed not only in my dog but several others that I know. My only regret is that I did not start it sooner. The Raw Diet is not as simple as other diets, nor is it cheap but I think my dog is worth the extra effort and money. It is also not for all dogs, but I know that it has greatly improved my dogs health and overall well being.

Post #60434
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Suprafa, rainsmom, Janice, dc-moderator, DFKmod, Community Moderator, September Morn, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 12:27am