torn dew claw
House Ad

Dog Channel
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » All About Dogs » Dog Health » torn dew claw Join the Club

torn dew claw Expand / Collapse
Author

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Group: Forum Member
Last Login: 11/21/2013 1:10:23 PM
My 4 year old black lab/great dane tore half of his front dew claw off as well as some of the normally black protective layer on the upper part he has left. Is 4 too old to have it removed, do you think? Should i just let it heal? Last night i put dog first aid creme and a wrap on it to prevent him from licking it all night. (Constant licking is a noise i can't sleep to) It does seem to bother him a bit. Thanks.

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.    - ambrose bierce

Post #59941
Posted 2/6/2010 1:28:33 PM

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Peer Moderator
Last Login: 6/18/2012 8:30:53 AM
you can have it removed, but it should be fine as long as it doesnt get infected.

Post #59952
Posted 2/6/2010 5:12:52 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 4/17/2011 4:34:36 PM
riverchic (2/6/2010)
My 4 year old black lab/great dane tore half of his front dew claw off as well as some of the normally black protective layer on the upper part he has left. Is 4 too old to have it removed, do you think? Should i just let it heal? Last night i put dog first aid creme and a wrap on it to prevent him from licking it all night. (Constant licking is a noise i can't sleep to) It does seem to bother him a bit. Thanks.

Actually, if it is half/or over torn off... and if the quick of the nail is severed... you can be your on vet in this situation and finish clipping it off... with your regular dog clippers. That way you won't have a hangy on. He probably is licking it so much for this reason... it is annoying to him. Have some Quick Stop on hand... so, if it tries to bleed some more you can get it under control. I wouldn't try to do this myself if the quick of the nail hasn't be torn already.
If not... I wouldn't worry about it. The nail is still on there pretty good.

Post #59954
Posted 2/6/2010 7:58:06 PM

Last Login: 11/21/2013 1:10:23 PM
Thanks guys. Im going to let it ride for a while and hope it heals itself. Dew claws seem a bit useless- more of a hazard than anything. Happy pregnant thoughts, rainsmom

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.    - ambrose bierce

Post #59955
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Suprafa, rainsmom, dc-moderator, DFKmod, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 10:36pm