Senior Dogs and Loss of Appitite
House Ad

Dog Channel
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » All About Dogs » Senior Dog Care » Senior Dogs and Loss of Appitite Join the Club

Senior Dogs and Loss of Appitite Expand / Collapse
Author

Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Group: Forum Member
Last Login: 11/21/2011 7:48:51 AM
I realise this is an old post, but I had a few more tips to add. I've had my fair share of experience with finicky senior dogs. Apart from the taste and smell of the food (some great suggestions already about that so I'll spare you), the way you feed it can be boring to the dog. I've had dogs that would drive me crazy because they wouldn't eat unless I made it interesting. You could try hand feeding (which is messy but effective). For some reason food seems more special when it comes from a humans hand. Also, food my dogs wouldn't bat an eyelash at would get scarfed down if it was a special reward for doing a trick. You might also try stuffing it into a kong. These are just a few things that worked for me, I don't know if it will work for other dogs, maybe my dogs were just bizarre

~ "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Maranatha!

In loving memory of Dan 06-01-1996 - 04-14-2009
Post #64674
Posted 9/28/2011 5:48:06 PM
Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: 3/3/2013 5:18:26 PM
Both my sister's and neighbor's elderly dogs responded well to meatballs made of ground dry food, wet pate and a small amount of water. Both dogs devoured a plateful at the first feeding.
Post #64684
Posted 12/13/2011 12:00:16 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 12/12/2011 11:52:04 PM
You have put up very useful information here I have 2 dogs and this information really generate good help for me.

Mold Remediation South Florida |Mold Removal South Florida
Post #65313
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Suprafa, rainsmom, dc-moderator, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 8:33pm