Help! My dog hates children!
House Ad

Dog Channel
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » All About Dogs » Dog Behavior and Training » Help! My dog hates children! Join the Club

Help! My dog hates children! Expand / Collapse
Author

MemberMemberMemberMemberMemberMemberMemberMember

Group: Forum Member
Last Login: 8/20/2009 5:06:26 PM
My dog Sam is a 2 year old Miniature Pinscher/Chihuahua mix and he lunges and tries to bite the ankles of little kids.  If the kid is calm and wants to just pet him, he acts all submissive and happy and gives their face a lick and is completely fine. He's like a completely different dog though if a child runs by or is playing with other children.  He lunges and growls and scares them.  Now I've noticed that he doing it if an adult runs by too.  also whenever there is another dog he makes this horrible noise and just seems to go crazy and his eyes go all big and it seems like there is nothing in the world except the other dog and he can't focus on anything.  And now the little puppy is picking up on his aggressive energy and has started to growl at other dogs but acts fearful of them at the same time. I spent weeks socializing him and now all of a sudden he seems to have forgotten everything and has become fearful of skateboards, bikes, dogs, cars, loud noises, boats, and horses.

Anyone have any suggestions about this.  I would really appreciate your help.

000_0040-2.jpg picture by SamandRodeo   Sam.jpg picture by SamandRodeo   Lady-1.jpg picture by SamandRodeo

~Sailor and Salty~     ~Sam~            ~Lady~

SamandRodySnuggling.jpg picture by SamandRodeo                             Sasha.jpg picture by SamandRodeo

~Rodeo and Sam~               ~Sasha~

Post #56296
Posted 6/2/2009 12:32:14 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 12/1/2010 8:02:08 AM
All i cn say is socialize. go to parks, dog parks and make all experiences positive. reward good behavior and ignore the bad. never punish as it will make him more aggressive. hope this helps!

Christi T

Post #56297
Posted 6/3/2009 3:37:17 PM

Last Login: 8/24/2009 10:32:08 AM
Keep socializing him, and have kids and adults run by and toss him treats. When your on walks before he sees a person or dog walks by get him to focus on you, if you can't and he lunges give a weird noise and walk in him in the opposite direction.

Dogs don't hold gruges, they forgive and move on. We can learn a few things from dog.
Post #56330
Posted 6/6/2009 12:35:30 PM

Last Login: 8/29/2009 5:10:38 PM
Socialize him a LOT.
The same thing can happen to my dog if she's in a hyper mood, and she becomes so overexcited that her common sense and listening ability somewhat shuts down. I keep her mind busy by doing tricks or practicing our show patterns.
And talk to him. If you tend to get nervous when a child comes over or runs by, he can feel that tension and reacts aggressively or like you said, sometimes submissive. If you're confident and act like nothing is wrong, he'll take up that vibe of relaxation and relax as well.
Do you have any nieces/nephews/sisters/brothers of a young age? If they are able to understand how to help your dog and know what to do and understand being safe and respectful to your dog, maybe they could help!

EDIT: I didn't fully read the last part, sorry. With other noises and the puppy picking up on the behavior, discipline the puppy for his behavior. He needs to relaize at an early age what not do, and that includes being aggressive, which could turn bad as he grows older. Wih other noises and objects, just relax again, and be the pack leader. If he acts up just calm him down or lightly discipline him with a small-but still firm-nudge or poke. If he gets worse over the period of time, just walk him, and talk to him, and if he reacts well towards the noise/object, immediately reward him by taking the thing away or giving him a treat. 

The best of luck to you both! =)

♥♥♥♥

Post #56399
Posted 6/7/2009 5:10:11 PM

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!  I really appreciate it!  I will try it and keep you posted on the progress.  I have high hopes that he and the puppy will soon be very happy socialized dogs!  I know it might take days, weeks, or months of hard work but I will do my best and, hopefully, succeed in making them better dogs who will enjoy the company of dogs and children. Once again, thank you so much!

000_0040-2.jpg picture by SamandRodeo   Sam.jpg picture by SamandRodeo   Lady-1.jpg picture by SamandRodeo

SamandRodySnuggling.jpg picture by SamandRodeo                             Sasha.jpg picture by SamandRodeo

Post #56421
Posted 6/9/2009 9:03:55 PM

Your advice has helped so much!  I took Sam to a softball practice where children were running and screaming and wanting to pet him and I had him doing obedience and having him focus on the food and he did wonderful!  There weren't any other dogs there but that will be the major test of my ability to get him to focus and listen to the commands.  But during a walk today, we walked on the opposite side of the road from another dog and he just looked at it then focused on the food again!

The puppy, Rody, is showing progress already too, but he still growls at first when he meets another dog.  We took him to the vet today for another shot and another dog came in.  Whenever he growled, I turned him away until he stopped and then I let him look again and if he growled I did that again.  After a few minutes though, he started acting like a normal happy-go-lucky puppy that just wants to say hello to everyone and I'm really glad I found this site when I did or he might have grown up to be a very aggressive adult.

Thank you all for your input!

Post #56466
Posted 6/17/2009 4:21:46 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 6/17/2009 4:18:19 AM
According to dog whisper, be calm assertive, don't make eye contact and put leash on and take a walk. Yes as Green machine suggested, earn some respect.

Dog Training
Post #56568
Posted 6/23/2009 2:56:40 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 7/23/2009 12:33:00 PM
My chihuahua does the same thing, we socialized him but whenever a person walks by he will bark and growl and go crazy. Just today this little girl wanted to pet him but as soon as she came close to him he started growling and it was embarrassing because my dog is so sweet inside our house. I hope everything goes well for you!

*Proud owner of a Chihuahua*
Post #56666
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Suprafa, rainsmom, dc-moderator, DFKmod, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 12:47am