Food alternative to Science Diet c/d
House Ad

Dog Channel
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » All About Dogs » Dog Nutrition » Food alternative to Science Diet c/d Join the Club

Food alternative to Science Diet c/d Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Member
Last Login: 2/23/2009 8:24:20 PM
The dog in question has been eating Hills c/d for some months since he was diagnosed with struvite crystals, but his latest tests show he's just about fine. We're trying to get the owners (our friends) to switch foods. Does anyone have recommendations for an alternative food? No raw sorry, owners have specified they don't want raw at this point.

Thanks!

Post #54186
Posted 2/19/2009 10:22:20 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 2/23/2009 6:38:35 PM
Hi - I've been told to add a liquid calcium tablet to food for prevention.  It's a little gloppy when you cut into it but doable.  Anyway, I had sweeties on I/D and have now started cooking for them.  Right now it's chicken with pasta-or-rice-or-boiled potato(skin on), along with dermcap oil, mutivit, cannola oil, sardines, bonemeal.  My sweeties are thriving on it in general.  This recipe came from my wonderful vet via a professional chef.  I also have a beef recipe but one of the princesses doesn't seem to like beef (except filet mignon).  Would love to hear comments on this.
Post #54230
Posted 2/23/2009 8:32:44 PM

Last Login: 2/23/2009 8:24:20 PM
Thanks for the recipe and rfor sharing! I'm unsure about the quantities on supplements so I might get them to consult the vet, but am trying to help them by doing some research first. I've heard that cranberry juice is good too, but am reading up a bit more on that as well. Does anyone else have any advice? Much appreciated thanks!
Post #54299
Posted 2/23/2009 8:38:27 PM

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 1/13/2010 11:27:07 AM
my advise, find you a good vet.

Our Dogs are not spoiled,we're just well trained
Post #54300
Posted 2/24/2009 7:17:30 PM

MemberMemberMemberMemberMemberMemberMemberMember

Last Login: 2/19/2011 8:09:09 AM
Just wondering  why you want to change the food????  Usually when a cat or dog have to be on c/d its not a good idea to change foods, even though they are doing good, because it usually just causes crystals again. Just curious if there was a reason why you want to change foods????
Post #54308
Posted 5/29/2009 9:28:38 AM

Last Login: 6/12/2009 6:44:56 AM
I would not feed your dog any dogfood containing Corn of any kind.

Try wellness dog food or california brand.

Maybe a fish based food with low protein as well.

Post #56215
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Suprafa, rainsmom, dc-moderator, DFKmod, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:59pm