House Ad

Dog Channel
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » All About Dogs » Dog Breeding » Breeding my chihuahua Join the Club

12»»

Breeding my chihuahua Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Member
Last Login: 11/12/2008 6:40:56 AM
My chihuahua is in her second heat and i want to breed her. When is the best time? Do i wait till shes done bleeding? I also have a male i want to breed her with, but hes twice her size. Will this hurt her? Please help!!

Proud little dog owner!!
Post #51382
Posted 11/12/2008 7:41:38 AM

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Peer Moderator
Last Login: 6/18/2012 8:30:53 AM
well first since you havnt given much info on your dogs, and you need info on breeding. I am going to assume you are a novice. first what kind of health testing have you done?( chi's should have their eyes cerf'd, hearing tested, cardiac testing and patellar luxation ofa'd) do you show? how old is your female? breeding should be done no sooner than 2 years old. you said your male is larger, how much larger? that can cause complications in the birthing. chi's already can have complications giving birth which is why breeders usualy use bigger females to breed with. I would go over the breed standard find a breeder/mentor to honestly evaluate your breeding stock.  breeding is a serious undertaking and should not be done just to make money! it takes years of research to be ready to breed. even then something can go wrong, and you may loose mom or the litter. hope I have helped. if you have anymore questions just ask, and I will try and help.

Post #51384
Posted 11/12/2008 10:43:55 AM

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 6/19/2012 9:58:03 PM
Lara (11/12/2008)
My chihuahua is in her second heat and i want to breed her. When is the best time? Do i wait till shes done bleeding? I also have a male i want to breed her with, but hes twice her size. Will this hurt her? Please help!!

The General accepted breeding age is 2 years.  And breeding a male twice her size is not a good idea at all.  If you want to breed I'd suggest checking out some chi breeding books first.  The information you are asking are the basics of breeding and if you don't know the answers I don't suggest breeding right now.  It's important to know these things, alot of things can go wrong.  So get informed first

Poppy- 'Schnoodle'
Luna- Belgian Malinois
Rainvear- Border Collie

Post #51389
Posted 11/12/2008 5:24:04 PM

Supreme Being

Last Login: 1/13/2010 11:27:07 AM
Lara (11/12/2008)

How much experience to you have in the breeding of this breed?
Is your female tested for any genetic diseases?
have you shown her in any events?
Are you financially prepared for this undertaking?

Our Dogs are not spoiled,we're just well trained
Post #51399
Posted 11/12/2008 8:53:43 PM

Supreme Being

Last Login: 12/30/2012 12:11:26 PM
First of all, I'm beg you to get research done on breeding before doing it. Research your dogs breed, breeding, and what health tests and genetic health tests you will need to test her with, etc.
A couple years worth of Research (as well as talking to some good breeders) will answer all your questions.

So, I'm saying a little Research goes a long way.

I will answer your questions, but you still need to do research.
When is the best time?
When the dog is two years old up through 7 years. 2 years old is the minimum age that a dog should be bred because some of the health tests cannot be certified until that age.

Do i wait till shes done bleeding?
Typically, the dog is receptive on the 12th - 14th day of her heat cycle. But it can vary, so basically, yes when she is done bleeding and will stand still for the male, she's receptive.

I also have a male i want to breed her with, but hes twice her size. Will this hurt her?
Yes. Please choose a different stud. Breeding her with a bigger male may result in puppies to large to be born without a c-section. This is especially true with Chihuahuas.

Also realize that breeding isn't the cute, fun thing that movies paint it to be. Sure, it can be fun, but there's a whole lot of work involved and it can be heartbreaking if there is a complication that results in death of mother and/or puppies.
There is a risk of losing the female during the whelping and other parts of pregnancy.

Places that you can start your research at:
cookiemiller.tripod.com
[My website that I made on the ethics of dog breeding for educational purposes.]

chelsea-collies.com/newborn.html
[A helpful article on caring for newborn puppies. It's about Collies, but 99% of the info applies to all dogs.]

woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder2.html
[This link describes some of the complications that can and often do come up.]

You need at least two years worth of research and a good, experienced mentor. Best of luck!

[I'm a breeder "in training" and currently doing my research and looking for a reputable and experienced mentor.]

~Tiffany, breeder-in-training
--------------------------------------------------

I'm the God-fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative that the liberals warned you about.
Truth enlightens the mind, but won't always bring happiness to your heart.

colliequest.deviantart.com
My website is an introduction to the world of responsible dog breeding:
cookiemiller.tripod.com
Post #51401
Posted 11/13/2008 5:31:18 AM

Supreme Being

the above advise was good, but I would like to add that a female can be ready to mate as soon as day 7 of the heat cycle.

Post #51406
Posted 11/14/2008 4:04:13 AM

Supreme Being

what I do not understand, we have so many people in the forum that are avid advocats , that we should look into your local shelter for a dog/ puppy, the cries are loud* whats wrong with a shelter dog?*, and we all as animal lovers are aware that there are too many in shelters, but yet, we give people advice how to put more pups in the world.

I am a very blunt person, and Yes I am writing what many do not want to read...but it is whats on the mind of many.

Post #51417
Posted 11/14/2008 5:29:49 AM

Supreme Being

dobermom (11/14/2008)
what I do not understand, we have so many people in the forum that are avid advocats , that we should look into your local shelter for a dog/ puppy, the cries are loud* whats wrong with a shelter dog?*, and we all as animal lovers are aware that there are too many in shelters, but yet, we give people advice how to put more pups in the world.

I am a very blunt person, and Yes I am writing what many do not want to read...but it is whats on the mind of many.

you definitly write whats on your mind but it is the truth. the truth that most people dont want to hear and unfortunatly probably wont follow. The op will more than likley breed her dog whether we aprove or not, and their will be people out their that will buy the pups mainly because the beverly hills chihuahuas are sooo cute. unfortunatly it will be the dogs that suffer. hopefully the advise given will change the persons mind about breeding, but the prospect of making a buck with supposedly little effort by the breeder (term used loosly) usually over rule rational thought.

all we can do is try and educate people about irresponsible breeding but ultimitly it is their decision. we hope for the best. shelters prepare for the worst.

Post #51418
Posted 11/14/2008 2:23:17 PM

Supreme Being

Last Login: 12/30/2012 12:11:26 PM
Yes, but if someone will breed anyway, we might as well tell them how to do it right.

~Tiffany, breeder-in-training
--------------------------------------------------

I'm the God-fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative that the liberals warned you about.
Truth enlightens the mind, but won't always bring happiness to your heart.

colliequest.deviantart.com
My website is an introduction to the world of responsible dog breeding:
cookiemiller.tripod.com
Post #51428
Posted 11/14/2008 4:19:37 PM

Supreme Being

[quote]rainsmom (11/14/2008)
[quote]dobermom (11/14/2008)

I am a very blunt person, and Yes I am writing what many do not want to read...but it is whats on the mind of many.[/quote]

you definitly write whats on your mind but it is the truth. the truth that most people dont want to hear and unfortunatly probably wont follow. The op will more than likley breed her dog whether we aprove or not, and their will be people out their that will buy the pups mainly because the beverly hills chihuahuas are sooo cute. unfortunatly it will be the dogs that suffer. hopefully the advise given will change the persons mind about breeding, but the prospect of making a buck with supposedly little effort by the breeder (term used loosly) usually over rule rational thought.

all we can do is try and educate people about irresponsible breeding but ultimitly it is their decision. we hope for the best. shelters prepare for the worst.[/quote]

You took the words right out of my mouth.
That's all we can do, is hope advice will be taken , and hope the pups sooner or later do not end of in shelters.
Because the excitement ran out.

And yes , I do speak whats on my mind.

Post #51429
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 3 (3 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Suprafa, rainsmom, dc-moderator, DFKmod, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 9:17am