House Ad

Dog Channel
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » All About Dogs » Dog Health » Dog seizures Join the Club

12»»

Dog seizures Expand / Collapse
Author

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Group: Forum Member
Last Login: 3/21/2009 2:04:19 PM
I know this topic has come up before, but I wanted to let people know that the food we were giving our dog was causing seizures.  For whatever reason, when I switched to a new food, his body viewed something in it as a toxin.  Admittedly, I had not done as much research into dog food as I have now, and did not pick a better food at that time.

We now feed Blue Buffalo, and the seizures stopped.  Our vet ran tests and could find nothing wrong with him, and admitted that although not a common cause, that the food did appear to be the culprit.  He has now been seizure free for 6 weeks, after having 7 seizures in 2 months.

In addition, we figured out that he cannot have any treats that are not 100% natural and organic, as treats that are not give him really bad gas.  He just has a very sensitive system!

Dogs Rule!!! 

Post #51065
Posted 12/29/2008 12:53:58 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 12/30/2008 5:47:30 AM
Thank goodness someone else believes that as well.  Our dog bear began having seizures, he probably has had 5 total that we know of.  The last two back to back on different days.  When I started researching I ran across some information that has made alot of sense.  We were feeding Bear Purina Dog Chow, recommended to my parents by their vet.  One thing that this site, www. canineseizuresbreakthroughs. com/msn.htm said is that corn has a chemical called phytate and dogs cannot digest.  This blocks their system from taking in the nutrients that they need and causes a chemical imbalance.  Thus, seizures.  We immediately switched Bear to Natural Balance and the seizures have stopped, two months now.
Post #52616
Posted 12/29/2008 1:07:45 PM

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Peer Moderator
Last Login: 6/18/2012 8:30:53 AM
I am happy to hear your dog is doing better!

Post #52622
Posted 12/30/2008 5:33:52 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Yes, I'm glad your seizures have stopped too.  It has truly lifted a weight off our shoulders figuring out what the issue was.  Our dog has been seizure free for 3.5 months now.  And it was the simplest of cures - just changing to a better dog food. 

I know it may not be the cause of other dog's seizures, but I think its important for people to know that their dog food can indeed be the cause. 

Dogs Rule!!! 

Post #52687
Posted 12/30/2008 5:44:17 PM

Last Login: 4/20/2012 2:17:32 PM
This has happened to my best friend's Doxie. I told her ot switch food plans, and the seizures stopped. I didnt have time to read all of the post, I had to go...>,> sorrry, what did you feed them?? To all who read, Beneful is a TERRIBLE food to feed a dog, and to prevent seizures, dont feed that particular food!!

The Cane Corso enthusiest!

Post #52755
Posted 12/30/2008 6:05:50 PM

MemberMemberMemberMemberMemberMemberMemberMember

Last Login: 4/15/2010 12:50:17 PM
We had the same problem some years back with our dog Konan, grant it he has more then one health concern.  At the time we were switching foods quite often.  Reading this has made some sense, thank you.  Since then we we've been a bit more permante on his food.  Didn't even think that could have been a problem. 

And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore.  The former things have passed away.  Revelation 21:4
Post #52757
Posted 12/31/2008 5:12:33 AM

The food that trigged our seizures was Iams Organics.  We now feed Blue Buffalo, which is free of corn, wheat, gluten and by-products.

Dogs Rule!!! 

Post #52777
Posted 12/31/2008 7:32:26 AM

Last Login: 4/20/2012 2:17:32 PM
My mother's friend has a Yorkie that she was feeding Iams too, and he started to have seizures. We cannot persuade her to switch b/c she thinks thats not the case, but I believe Iams is a terrible dog food, and would NEVER feed it to our dogs. I wouldnt feed my dogs Evo, neither b/c it is composed entirely of meat and no veggies or healthy grains.

The Cane Corso enthusiest!

Post #52789
Posted 1/4/2009 10:46:30 AM

Well, I hope you are able to get your friend to switch from Iams.  It is such an easy thing to change, and if its stops her dog's seizures, what an inexpensive way to get her dog healthier!  I can say 100% that the food is what caused our dog's seizures.  It took a couple weeks after switching for the remnants of the old food to completely clear his system, but we couldn't be happier now.   

Dogs Rule!!! 

Post #53027
Posted 2/7/2009 9:42:35 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 2/8/2009 7:36:25 AM
My min pin has seizures . We never could find out why , but she was on meds for it . She died last year after a seizure , we think it triggered a stroke and that's what killed her . As she had had over 6 I beleive

[b][i]more than a breed , a[u] passion
[/u][/i][/b]
Post #54044
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Suprafa, rainsmom, dc-moderator, DFKmod, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 12:47am