Dog Channel Logo

Profile Picture

French Bulldog Puppy - House training tips

Posted By Grover 6 Years Ago
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Member (78 reputation)Member (78 reputation)Member (78 reputation)Member (78 reputation)Member (78 reputation)Member (78 reputation)Member (78 reputation)Member (78 reputation)Member (78 reputation)

Group: Forum Member
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
We are going to be bringing our little girl home in two weeks and are really excited...but we want to be completely prepared.  I am looking for feedback regarding the best way to house train a Frenchie.  I am aware/told that they can be difficult to house train.  Any Frenchie owners who could share their experience, techniques and tips would be greatly appreciated. 

We are wanting to crate train her as we have had success with it in the past but are wondering if we should use an xpen with papers/puppy pads for the two mornings a week I am in classes. She will be alone for about 5 hours on these mornings and I don't think she will be able to be in her crate/hold it for that long as she is only going to be 11 weeks old. Other than that I will be home with her most of the day as I work from home. 

Is trying to teach her both going to confuse her?  How long did it take others to train there little Frenchie and what techniques did you use? Once house trained--lets say at a year old--are they fairly reliable in the house? We have another dog and are looking forward to them being able to "hang out" together when we are away from the house. Any feedback is very much appreciated...thanks a bunch! Smile

rainsmom
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being

Supreme Being (20,247 reputation)Supreme Being (20,247 reputation)Supreme Being (20,247 reputation)Supreme Being (20,247 reputation)Supreme Being (20,247 reputation)Supreme Being (20,247 reputation)Supreme Being (20,247 reputation)Supreme Being (20,247 reputation)Supreme Being (20,247 reputation)

Group: Peer Moderator
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
puppy pads might slow down the process a little, but its better than leaving her for 5 hours with no way to relieve herself. if you cant find someone to walk her, and give her a potty break while you are gone then I would use the x-pen/potty pads.

Grover
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Member (78 reputation)Member (78 reputation)Member (78 reputation)Member (78 reputation)Member (78 reputation)Member (78 reputation)Member (78 reputation)Member (78 reputation)Member (78 reputation)

Yes, I agree--I don't want to leave her longer than she is able to hold it. I am just trying to decide at this point if I should get someone to come by or just use the papers. We live in the country so we don't have neighbors "next" door--I guess I am just trying to find out what others have done. But I have taken 11 days off to just focus on getting her settled--so I imagine I will learn alot in that time and make arrangements if needed. I just appreciate hearing others stories and ideas. Thank you for the response. Smile

rainsmom
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being

Supreme Being (20,247 reputation)Supreme Being (20,247 reputation)Supreme Being (20,247 reputation)Supreme Being (20,247 reputation)Supreme Being (20,247 reputation)Supreme Being (20,247 reputation)Supreme Being (20,247 reputation)Supreme Being (20,247 reputation)Supreme Being (20,247 reputation)

Group: Peer Moderator
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
sorry I cant help much with the descion I am a stay at home mom so I am usualy always with the dogs but when I would visit my parents I would be gone for around 5-6 hours. I would use an x-pen and paper because I didnt have anyone that could let them out. I also didnt want my puppies to have to hold it that long.

Grover
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

May I ask how the transition went when you stopped using the papers in the xpen?  I think Sheltie's are a little easier to housetrain than a Frenchie but I am curious none-the-less.  How long until you stopped putting papers in the xpen and did they seem to figure out once the papers were removed that they weren't suppose to just do their business on the floor where they use to be?  Thank you again--I greatly appreciate you time and input! Smile

batzany
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Member (81 reputation)Member (81 reputation)Member (81 reputation)Member (81 reputation)Member (81 reputation)Member (81 reputation)Member (81 reputation)Member (81 reputation)Member (81 reputation)

It took us roughly 4 months to housebreak our French Bulldog, Pepper.

We didn't crate train Pepper. We just put up kid gates and kept here in the kitchen with a puppy pad down when we were gone. When we returned if she went on the pad, she was praised, but then taken outside for a romp around the backyard. The pads were only put down right before we left and when we came home they were removed.

I grew up with Miniature Schnauzers. Pepper is the first non Schnauzer breed I've ever owned and when they say French Bulldogs are harder to housebreak they are not kidding.

Peppers an extremely smart dog but also extremely stubborn. But every dog within a breed is different. I found that Pepper responded to different tones in my voice and a reward system. If she did something good, I used a happy playful voice and rewarded her with a few minutes of playing. If she did something un-wanted, I'd use a deeper serious voice to correct her and put her in her bed.

As I said, every dog within a breed is different so what works on one may not work on another as far as training goes. But it did work on my Frenchy

~Sherri

Grover
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

I just wanted to drop a note and say thank you to all those that responded to my puppy housetraining question.  I am happy to report that Molly is almost 4 months old and is doing fantastic!  She is such a good girl.  She is already getting more freedom around the house and is about 90% reliable on most days. If she does havee an accident we know "we" should have been paying closer attention as the signs are there!  She is in her crate at night and the 2 mornings I am at school and seems to like it (her crate) just fine...no crying or whining. She knows when she comes out it is "playtime"! She is already sitting, laying down, shaking a paw and learning to speak...a trick we are incorporating with "going outside".  She is learning to walk on her leash and enjoys playing outside even in the snow for short periods.  She is a quick learner--with patience,short training intervals, lots of praise and well she is a Frenchie so treats help she is so willing to do what you ask of her.  She has been such a great addition to our family--thank you for those who shared their opinions, tips and ideas.  I took them all into account along with Cesar Milan...who I personally think is a dog and people genius!  So thank you again!! Smile