Puppy won't pee or poop outside when it rains
House Ad

Dog Channel
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » All About Dogs » Puppy Talk » Puppy won't pee or poop outside when it rains... Join the Club

12»»

Puppy won't pee or poop outside when it rains... Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Member
Last Login: 1/7/2009 12:25:07 PM
I have a 3 month old cocker spaniel. For the most part she is house trained, mainly because I work from home so I am able to take her out often. But there is one problem and that's when it rains she won't go outside. She will hold it and then come right back inside and poop or pee on the floor. The driveway is covered and when I go out I put newpaper or a training pad down to give her the idea that it's too wet to go in the grass. I can sit outside for an hour and she will hold it and then ploop! there she goes. We have been getting a lot of rain lately and when we do I shudder at having to take her out knowing she won't go. Correction, she will pee if excited. For instance, I was sitting outside the other day when my ex came over to bring my son something and when she saw him she ran to him like always and the pee flowed. But otherwise she won't go. The only way she will not go on the floor is to crate her and lock the door. She won't even go if I put her inside but leave it open for her to come and go. Should I just give up at this point and crate and lock the door when it's wet out or should I keep taking her out and hope she gets the message.

help!!!

Myra

Post #49317
Posted 8/27/2008 3:53:57 PM

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 5/22/2012 4:24:30 PM
Is she loose or on lead when you take her out? If she's loose, try taking her out on a leash. Used to work with a Doberman I had long ago for rainy days. Actually take a walk around the block or something. She'll most likely scent where another dog went and be compelled to do the same. Worth a try. 
Post #49323
Posted 9/11/2008 9:50:03 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 9/12/2008 11:05:48 AM
I've had a similar experience. The leash worked for me also. Good Luck!
Post #49885
Posted 9/11/2008 11:27:33 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 3/21/2009 2:04:19 PM
Our dogs still hate going to the bathroom in the rain!  The suggestion of a leash is definitely a good idea.  Even now, our pitbull/boxer mix will only go outside to relieve himself in the rain if we go outside and stand in the rain too.  Otherwise he'd just stand on the porch or try to get back inside without going.

Dogs Rule!!! 

Post #49896
Posted 9/12/2008 4:23:33 AM

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Peer Moderator
Last Login: 6/18/2012 8:30:53 AM
SchnauzerFan (9/11/2008)
Our dogs still hate going to the bathroom in the rain!  The suggestion of a leash is definitely a good idea.  Even now, our pitbull/boxer mix will only go outside to relieve himself in the rain if we go outside and stand in the rain too.  Otherwise he'd just stand on the porch or try to get back inside without going.

I have the same problem with my dogs! if they even see its raining out they will go and run to their crates

Post #49916
Posted 9/15/2008 2:24:43 PM

MemberMemberMemberMemberMemberMemberMemberMember

Last Login: 1/2/2009 2:16:45 PM
I have the same problem whith Rascal but Max could care less that it is raining he will go out and do his job.
Post #50010
Posted 10/28/2008 10:40:17 AM

MemberMemberMemberMemberMemberMemberMemberMember

Last Login: 11/7/2008 12:08:26 PM
I either have to do the leash with my three inside dogs or actually go outside with them. If they even hear the rain they will run and hide to keep from going outside, lol.

A home without a Schnauzer, isn't a home at all.
Post #50998
Posted 11/11/2008 11:42:04 AM

Last Login: 11/15/2008 8:38:52 PM
Our 4 month old Papillon is adorable but the housebreaking is putting me over the edge. She now B Ms outside and will go on command if you go with her. Hates the rain. I will try the leash. I praise her, give her treats, am teaching her to be in the yard alone for awhile but she will come in and potty at our feet or on the carpet or wherever. I have read books and blogs. Have even stopped doing other training so she can have time to get this. Never have had a dog like this. She has no manners. Jumps on you, chews your clothes as you walk, only comes if she feels like it, will only sit and stay for moments, runs in her carrier if she has done something she knows she should not have done. It is cute but there isn't any change. At this point, I would be thrilled if she would just whine at the door when she has to go. The other stuff we will work on. Can anyone help? Thank you in advance.

Bijiiou and Sophie's Mom
Post #51362
Posted 11/11/2008 12:20:43 PM

Supreme Being

Group: Peer Moderator
Last Login: 6/18/2012 8:30:53 AM
Bijiou & Sophie's mom (11/11/2008)
Our 4 month old Papillon is adorable but the housebreaking is putting me over the edge. She now B Ms outside and will go on command if you go with her. Hates the rain. I will try the leash. I praise her, give her treats, am teaching her to be in the yard alone for awhile but she will come in and potty at our feet or on the carpet or wherever. I have read books and blogs. Have even stopped doing other training so she can have time to get this. Never have had a dog like this. She has no manners. Jumps on you, chews your clothes as you walk, only comes if she feels like it, will only sit and stay for moments, runs in her carrier if she has done something she knows she should not have done. It is cute but there isn't any change. At this point, I would be thrilled if she would just whine at the door when she has to go. The other stuff we will work on. Can anyone help? Thank you in advance.

papillions are known for their difficulties in house breaking! I would take her to obedience classes for other problems! most puppies if you just put them outside to go to the bathroom will just sit at the door and wait to be let in. you need to take her out in the yard, and make sure she goes. if she does praise, and treat if not take her in. put her in her crate, and repete every 10 minutes until she goes. small dogs like paps have small bladders poor muscle control, and the attention span of a gnat!!

for her manners I would use a spray bottle. when she jumps or nips spray her in the face. for come keep her on a long line and call everytime she comes give her a treat. if she doesnt gently pull her to you and praise. never call a dog to you to punish that will defeat the whole come command. for sit and stay I wouldnt worry about the length of time too much yet if she sits praise and treat tell her to stay, start with having her stay for 1 second then 2 and so on. once she will stay for a minute take 1 small step back stay for a second praise. keep doing that until she will stay 1 minute at 1 step away. then take 2 steps repete then 3 ....so on and so on you get my point just take it slow train for 5 minutes at a time several times a day end training on a positive note keep it happy and fun!!!

Post #51366
Posted 11/13/2008 8:00:01 AM

Last Login: 11/15/2008 8:38:52 PM
Thank you for all of the good ideas. Just so you know and maybe can help me a bit more, I do take her out and stay with her. I do the whole praise thing with her and treats. But then she comes in and goes again and sometimes on us! She will jump in our laps and just let go. We are desperate. My husband is close to having me give her back to the breeder which is my sister-in-law and she would be furious since Bijiou was given to us as a gift. Am thinking of taking her to a vet for the constant drinking and peeing. Any ideas? I love this little girl and can see such potential. She has almost ruined our new carpet and has pottied on every piece of seating in the living room. If she goes on our bed, that will be it. I do not want a back yard dog. She even goes to work with me. I am a caregiver and my elderly lady adores her. She doesn't potty there, she does cry at the back door at the lady's house but not here! So frustrated. Thanks again and hope you or someone else can help me.

Bijiiou and Sophie's Mom
Post #51408
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Suprafa, rainsmom, dc-moderator, DFKmod, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 5:01am