Do dogs sometimes run away when dying?
House Ad

Dog Channel
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » Dog Memorial » Pet Loss Support » Do dogs sometimes run away when dying? Join the Club

Do dogs sometimes run away when dying? Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Member
Last Login: 8/2/2008 2:27:17 PM
My loving dog of 16 years was acting very strange two nights ago. He is deaf and does not move around a whole lot anymore. He started barking and running around the house. He ran downstairs (something he hasn't done in at least a year) and back up and stood at the front door hunched over. He was in no condition to run, so that startled us. My dad thought he might throw up or had to go to the bathroom and opened the door. We live in the country and he started running out of the yard and down the road. My dad went after him, but couldn't find him anywhere. In his old age, he has not been one to leave our yard. We have been looking for him and combing the area for two days now, but haven't found him anywhere. I feel so helpless and miss him so much. He was my best friend. Is it common for dogs to run away when they are dying?
Post #47069
Posted 11/7/2009 2:02:24 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 4/13/2010 5:35:24 AM
yes i feel they do. they are usually looking for a safe secure place to go so they can goi on to heaven quietly. my dog is 17 and i know that the end is coming soon. he at time goes into a closet that i have and lays on the blanket way in the back in a corner. he is doing this more and more frequently. i hope this helps. god bless you. pipsqueek21
Post #59012
Posted 11/7/2009 6:08:16 PM

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 1/13/2010 11:27:07 AM
dogs know when it is time.
a lot of them seclude themselfs in a corner, in the yard.
It is normal.

Our Dogs are not spoiled,we're just well trained
Post #59014
Posted 1/8/2010 10:55:41 AM

Last Login: 1/22/2010 11:59:09 AM
I hope by this time that you did indeed find your pet once he bolted out the door.  In answer to your question, I am no expert but I saw the "signs" pertaining to our scottish terrier - I just refused to believe it was happening   He tried to get away from us in the yard when we were only trying to help, he would dig out a place to sit and when he was in the house, he did hide in the closet - something he has NEVER done    So, yes, I believe that is what was happening to your dog and I hope at this time that you are finding peace   I am sorry for your loss
Post #59601
Posted 5/11/2010 11:46:58 AM

Last Login: 5/11/2010 11:43:29 AM
I believe they do.  The night before my collie died we came home and he was in the garage but half under my husbands jeep. I believe he was trying to be alone under there to die.

Marthayorkie
Post #60929
Posted 5/11/2010 1:43:21 PM

Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: 10/13/2010 12:58:51 PM
Old dogs can also become senile and in these cases, they don't think clearly and often become confused or afraid.

When old dogs begin lose their eyesight or hearing they can also become fearful.

Any of these things - or especially a combination of them - could have caused your dog to dash and run away.

I hope you've found him. My thoughts are with you.

The Dog Writer
Discussion Leader
with Riker, Bashir and Archer; Australian Shepherds
Post #60931
Posted 7/9/2010 3:42:33 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 1/5/2013 1:52:09 PM
my moms dog penny ran away to die because she didnt want my mom to see her die.

To  find out about the Fighting Dog Campaign im doing......plz visit "Random Chat" and the topic "Fighting Dog Campaign" Thank you!

****PLZ STOP BY RUSTY'S, DILLION'S, JEZZY'S, AND ANGEL MAX'S PG AND PLZ GIVE THEM A VOTE! THX!****

Jezzy's pg #180322

Rusty's pg #180313

Dillion's pg #181215

Angel Max's pg #185738

thanks

Post #61845
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Suprafa, rainsmom, dc-moderator, DFKmod, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:27am