What is a good food to feed a 3 year old Poodle?
House Ad

Dog Channel
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » All About Dogs » Puppy Talk » What is a good food to feed a 3 year old... Join the Club

What is a good food to feed a 3 year old... Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Member
Last Login: 8/1/2008 12:55:25 PM
My mini poodle doesnt like his food we are giving him. I herd that its not good to switch your dogs food often, so i need to find something that works. I need something that he will actually eat quickly, not some at 5 when we feed him and some at 7 then finish at 8! Any ideas??

>>XoBabyPuppy94xo<<
DOGSKISSESARETHEBEST<3

SUNKISSED SUMMER 08

Pround Mini Poodle Owner!

Please visit us! : http://www.dogchannel.com/blog/viewbio.aspx?apid=34541

Post #46750
Posted 7/30/2008 8:58:17 AM

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 9/12/2013 5:18:10 PM
It's not necessarily good to switch your dogs food often. I find what works for my dogs and stick with it. I usually supplement with a bit of canned, so I sometimes switch that from time to time...but the dry kibble remains the same. Really, each dog is different, and finding the right food for your dog might take some trial and error. The first step would be to do some research on kibble to determine what might be best for your dog. A good place to start is dogfoodproject.com. It's an amazing site with tons of info and kibble reviews.

Also, your dog should not be allowed to pick at her food for two hours. Put your dogs food down at feeding time, and give her 20 minutes to eat. Remove the food after 20 minutes. She will soon learn that she must eat when she is fed, not at her convenience.

Post #46752
Posted 7/30/2008 2:33:12 PM

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 5/22/2012 4:24:30 PM
I agree with 2browndogs, however, one question. Is the kibble too big for your dog? There are many brands that cater to small dogs with a smaller kibble size. Same food, different size.

Post #46778
Posted 7/30/2008 4:20:09 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 8/28/2009 11:39:23 PM

You can't "force" a dog to eat all his food at once. If anything I think your dog is smart by maintaining his food so that if he gets hungry later he can always go have some more. Dogs can't just get food off the shelf when it is hungry like humans. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Necessarily, I would be all for 2browndog's idea of taking the food away but I feel that should only be used when the dog is hogging down the food and eating fast. People then tend to think the dog is starving and give it more food. In this case, I feel like the dog has enough sense to know when to stop eating and when to eat.

----------- Sandy my 1 year old labrador-----------

Post #46789
Posted 7/31/2008 10:49:41 AM

Supreme Being

Last Login: 5/1/2010 10:54:22 PM
Mini poodles can be pickers, I know because I have two. The key is to teach them to eat, my dogs get fed once a day and they get their food for 20 minutes. Whatever they don't eat in that time period gets put back in the food bin until the next day. While it does take some time and you do get guilt tripped by them for a while, they do learn to eat over time.

I personally feed my minis Innova Evo and they do seem to like it. One interesting thing I've found is that they're paticular to the large bites as opposed to the small ones. Seems that they actually like something that they can chew on.

Amy

Can. Ch. Kamann's Over the Rainbow "Bo" (Miniature Poodle)

Cindeross Silver Slippers "Gidget" (Miniature Poodle)

Post #46885
Posted 7/31/2008 10:54:14 AM

Supreme Being

Last Login: 9/12/2013 5:18:10 PM
Funny Pudel...I give my big two the EVO small bites They eat REALLY fast, and it seems the small bites slows them down a bit.

Post #46886
Posted 7/31/2008 3:46:18 PM

Supreme Being

Last Login: 12/30/2012 12:11:26 PM
Foods I recommend:
-EVO
-Diamonds Naturals
-Taste of the Wild.

~Tiffany, breeder-in-training
--------------------------------------------------

I'm the God-fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative that the liberals warned you about.
Truth enlightens the mind, but won't always bring happiness to your heart.

colliequest.deviantart.com
My website is an introduction to the world of responsible dog breeding:
cookiemiller.tripod.com
Post #46924
Posted 8/1/2008 9:42:56 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 8/1/2008 12:55:25 PM
Ok, i'll log on! Thanks so much!! I will try the 20 minutes thing as well! My dog is smart enough to eat his food, i just feel bad because i dont think he likes it! Its small packets ok Kibble there not even an inch big! I will try all the ideas and Trial and error! Thanks for your help I really appreciate it!

>>XoBabyPuppy94xo<<
DOGSKISSESARETHEBEST<3

SUNKISSED SUMMER 08

Pround Mini Poodle Owner!

Please visit us! : http://www.dogchannel.com/blog/viewbio.aspx?apid=34541

Post #47032
Posted 9/12/2008 11:15:21 AM

Last Login: 9/12/2008 11:05:48 AM
This is very sensible advice.
Post #49921
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Suprafa, rainsmom, dc-moderator, DFKmod, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 9:40pm