Does your schnauzer cough, hack, or choke when excited?
House Ad

Dog Channel
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » All About Dogs » Dog Health » Does your schnauzer cough, hack, or choke... Join the Club

Does your schnauzer cough, hack, or choke... Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Member
Last Login: 3/3/2007 12:54:19 PM
Hello to all you schnauzer fans out there!  I have a question for you:

Does your schnauzer hack (also described as a cross between choking and coughing) when he/she gets overexcited?  I have a 10 year old miniature schnauzer named Muffin, who, when excited, hacks.  We just got a puppy, also a miniature schnauzer, and she also hacks when excited.  They do this when playing or when they are otherwise excited.  Is this a trait of the breed, or do my schnauzers just choke when excited?

Thanks!

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I am wearing milk-bone underwear.-Norm, from Cheers

My puppy sings when I play oboe.

Schnauzers Rule!

Post #24646
Posted 2/9/2007 10:24:47 PM

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 9/12/2013 5:18:10 PM
I think what you're describing is a reverse sneeze.  Most dogs do this, but I think it's more common in puppies.

"Reverse sneezing is a disconcerting event in which a dog makes unpleasant respiratory sounds that sound like it is dying -- or will die in the next few minutes. Reverse sneezing sounds similar to the honking noise made by a dog with a collapsing trachea, but reverse sneezing is a far simpler condition that usually does not need any treatment. It is called reverse sneezing because it sounds a bit like a dog inhaling sneezes. The sound the dog makes can be so scary that many owners have rushed in a panic to emergency clinics in the middle of the night.

Anything that irritates the throat can cause this spasm and subsequent sneeze. Causes include excitement, eating or drinking, exercise intolerance, pulling on a leash, mites, pollen, foreign bodies caught in the throat, perfumes, viruses, household chemicals, allergies, and post-nasal drip."

Post #24653
Posted 2/10/2007 9:05:50 AM

MemberMemberMemberMemberMemberMemberMemberMember

Last Login: 9/13/2007 2:28:10 PM
MY Chihuahu mix does the same thing. She's going on 6 and often and coughs. Its almost like she's having an asthma attack but is over within a few seconds. I dont think its anything to worry about[center][/center]

machochihuahua.jpg
Post #24699
Posted 2/11/2007 10:26:25 AM

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 1/13/2010 11:27:07 AM
We have a 9 year old mini-schnauzer and he does the same thing.

He could be layiing on the couch, then, the doorbell rings, and he jumps down, and does that.

I thought it was just him.

He does it also when he gets realy excited.

now, our dobe ,never. just him.

Our Dogs are not spoiled,we're just well trained

Post #24845
Posted 2/11/2007 11:08:47 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 3/3/2007 12:54:19 PM
Thank you, everybody, so much.  It is really comforting to know that my girls are not the only two dogs out there that do this.  It is a wierd trait, and it can get annoying, and now I know that it isn't serious.

Thanks again!

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I am wearing milk-bone underwear.-Norm, from Cheers

My puppy sings when I play oboe.

Schnauzers Rule!

Post #24848
Posted 2/12/2007 9:01:15 AM

Supreme Being

Last Login: 1/13/2010 11:27:07 AM
believe me, we freaked out at first too.

Our Dogs are not spoiled,we're just well trained
Post #24951
Posted 2/14/2007 4:35:32 PM

MemberMemberMemberMemberMemberMemberMemberMember

Group: Awaiting Activation
Last Login: 3/15/2007 8:34:44 AM
Im sure its nothing Serious. If your dog is old thats probily just normal.

Ming my Siamese and Jaxson my boxer.

~ A Dogs love is unconditional ~

Go to fullsize image  Its not a home Without a dog!
Go to fullsize image       Go to fullsize imageGo to fullsize image Happy Easter: Love Mingandmom

Post #25257
Posted 4/6/2009 9:26:03 PM

Last Login: 4/10/2009 6:02:55 PM
my chihuahua does this, (if its its kinda a honking noise your talking about). i took him to the vet cause i was very concerned there was something wrong with him, the vet told me it wasnt a collapsed  trachea as i was thinking, instead he had chronic allergies and was put on clemastine and this has actual help him a week after taking the meds.
Post #55145
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, Suprafa, rainsmom, dc-moderator, DFKmod, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 1:46pm