Dog Channel Logo

Profile Picture

Female Pregnant on first heat

Posted By Mutt Luv1212 8 Years Ago
Author
W00t Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being

Supreme Being (1,513 reputation)Supreme Being (1,513 reputation)Supreme Being (1,513 reputation)Supreme Being (1,513 reputation)Supreme Being (1,513 reputation)Supreme Being (1,513 reputation)Supreme Being (1,513 reputation)Supreme Being (1,513 reputation)Supreme Being (1,513 reputation)

Group: Forum Member
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
I was just wondering what happenes when a female gets pregnant on her first does it make not very  heathly pups or is it more that it is draining on the mom.  I dont have a pregnant female that got pregnant on her first heat but I got a pup from one that did just wanting to know if he might not be that healthy of a not when he gets older. 

Thanks a lot I have always wanted to knowSmile

Mutt Luv 

And the gang

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

~Author Unknown~

Nothing is ever as hard as the thought of having to do it.

PudelGrl
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being

Supreme Being (3,369 reputation)Supreme Being (3,369 reputation)Supreme Being (3,369 reputation)Supreme Being (3,369 reputation)Supreme Being (3,369 reputation)Supreme Being (3,369 reputation)Supreme Being (3,369 reputation)Supreme Being (3,369 reputation)Supreme Being (3,369 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
The main reason is that its way to draining on the mother, she is often too small and immature to give birth and its much harder and riskier on her health.

However, as for the puppy's health, several health tests required for the parents have to be done at 2 years of age or older to get an accurate result. So a female dog having a litter at a young age could indirectly have an effect on health if she was in fact suffering from a genetic health problem not yet identified.

Amy

Can. Ch. Kamann's Over the Rainbow "Bo" (Miniature Poodle)

Cindeross Silver Slippers "Gidget" (Miniature Poodle)

huskies r perfect
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being

Supreme Being (2,949 reputation)Supreme Being (2,949 reputation)Supreme Being (2,949 reputation)Supreme Being (2,949 reputation)Supreme Being (2,949 reputation)Supreme Being (2,949 reputation)Supreme Being (2,949 reputation)Supreme Being (2,949 reputation)Supreme Being (2,949 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Siesi22 (1/27/2007)
Dear mam reading this,

Yes! Welcome to Dog channel

Seisi, this was back from September!

Heidi-12 year old female Chow Chow/German Shepherd.
Misty-4 year old female half Siberian Husky, half German Shepherd.
Jaxon-1 year old male purebred Siberian Husky.
Jazzie-6 month old Siberian Husky mix.
Cocoa-3 month old Shih Tzu/Rat Terrier/Chihuahua.

amjon
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Member (39 reputation)Member (39 reputation)Member (39 reputation)Member (39 reputation)Member (39 reputation)Member (39 reputation)Member (39 reputation)Member (39 reputation)Member (39 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
I wouldn't worry about the health of your pup for this reason, but I would because someone that bred on the first heat probably didn't do the required health tesing. I am not sure of the breed, but there are several health problems that should be tested for in most breeds (knees, hips, eyes, ears). It does drain the mother and she may be too immature to properly care for pups (think of a teenage mother).

Mutt Luv1212 (9/7/2006)
I was just wonderingwhat happenes when a female gets pregnant on her first does it makenot very heathly pups or is it more that it is draining on the mom. I dont have a pregnant female that got pregnant on her first heat but I got a pup from one that did just wanting to know if he might not be that healthy of a not when he gets older.

Thanks a lot I have always wanted to knowSmile
ld

Amanda

Carling Chinese Cresteds (and more)

Bella Romaine
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Member (47 reputation)Member (47 reputation)Member (47 reputation)Member (47 reputation)Member (47 reputation)Member (47 reputation)Member (47 reputation)Member (47 reputation)Member (47 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I was careless, and stupid enough to let a female get pregnant on her 1st heat.  We kept one puppy, and gave 3 of the other 9 to friends. All 4 puppies I kept in touch with, are great dogs. I think what is more important than the age of the mom(though older Moms are better, and stronger) most important is that the puppy stayed with Mom long enough, I personally think 8-9 weeks with mom, but I know others think less. I think the care after birth, is more important than the Moms age. And P.S, my dog, who had puppies on her 1st heat, was the best Mother, and dog I have ever known, hands down.

RondaLee

Collie/GSD/Sheltie/Corgi/R...
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being

Supreme Being (3,286 reputation)Supreme Being (3,286 reputation)Supreme Being (3,286 reputation)Supreme Being (3,286 reputation)Supreme Being (3,286 reputation)Supreme Being (3,286 reputation)Supreme Being (3,286 reputation)Supreme Being (3,286 reputation)Supreme Being (3,286 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Bullies1904 (8/14/2008)
My girl got pregnant on her first heat... all 7 puppies were born healthy and big!!!Smile

I think its all a myth, because in the wild, who is going to stop them from mating...Tongue

Breeding a dog on her first heat could stunt her growth. *shakes head sadly*

And no dog should be bred before it is 2 years old because the most important health tests can't be certified until then.

~Tiffany, breeder-in-training

--------------------------------------------------

I'm the God-fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative that the liberals warned you about.

Truth enlightens the mind, but won't always bring happiness to your heart.

colliequest.deviantart.com

My website is an introduction to the world of responsible dog breeding:

cookiemiller.tripod.com

caninejan
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being

Supreme Being (3,291 reputation)Supreme Being (3,291 reputation)Supreme Being (3,291 reputation)Supreme Being (3,291 reputation)Supreme Being (3,291 reputation)Supreme Being (3,291 reputation)Supreme Being (3,291 reputation)Supreme Being (3,291 reputation)Supreme Being (3,291 reputation)

Collie/GSD/Sheltie/Corgi/Russell_luvr (8/15/2008)
Bullies1904 (8/14/2008)
My girl got pregnant on her first heat... all 7 puppies were born healthy and big!!!Smile

I think its all a myth, because in the wild, who is going to stop them from mating...Tongue

Breeding a dog on her first heat could stunt her growth. *shakes head sadly*
And no dog should be bred before it is 2 years old because the most important health tests can't be certified until then.

Agreed. Hey, mistakes happen, but you need to learn from them, not continue making the same mistakes 'cos it worked out the first time.              SmileBigGrinBigGrinSmile

Tycho
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being

Supreme Being (606 reputation)Supreme Being (606 reputation)Supreme Being (606 reputation)Supreme Being (606 reputation)Supreme Being (606 reputation)Supreme Being (606 reputation)Supreme Being (606 reputation)Supreme Being (606 reputation)Supreme Being (606 reputation)

My parents' female chihuahua ended up getting bred on her first heat. My siblings that live at home were not exactly sure why Amigo and Tela couldn't be together and one day my little sister let them out together and well the rest is nature.XD Tela did beautifully! She had 5 extremely healthy, and rather large puppies.

It's not completely horrible if it happens but it's best to wait for the 2nd or 3rd heats to make sure there are no abandonment issues due to the immaturity of the mother dog. In the wild, wolves, coyotes, and varies canines don't wait for the 2nd heat so most generally they'll be ok.

Corgis aren't just dogs, they're companions.

Collie/GSD/Sheltie/Corgi/R...
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being

Supreme Being (3,286 reputation)Supreme Being (3,286 reputation)Supreme Being (3,286 reputation)Supreme Being (3,286 reputation)Supreme Being (3,286 reputation)Supreme Being (3,286 reputation)Supreme Being (3,286 reputation)Supreme Being (3,286 reputation)Supreme Being (3,286 reputation)

Tycho (8/16/2008)
My parents' female chihuahua ended up getting bred on her first heat. My siblings that live at home were not exactly sure why Amigo and Tela couldn't be together and one day my little sister let them out together and well the rest is nature.XD Tela did beautifully! She had 5 extremely healthy, and rather large puppies.

It's not completely horrible if it happens but it's best to wait for the 2nd or 3rd heats to make sure there are no abandonment issues due to the immaturity of the mother dog. In the wild, wolves, coyotes, and varies canines don't wait for the 2nd heat so most generally they'll be ok.

True, but as I said health testing is extremely important and the OFA and CERF tests can't be certified until the dog is 2 years old. Breeding without health tests just makes the breed less healthy and is irresponsible.

~Tiffany, breeder-in-training

--------------------------------------------------

I'm the God-fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative that the liberals warned you about.

Truth enlightens the mind, but won't always bring happiness to your heart.

colliequest.deviantart.com

My website is an introduction to the world of responsible dog breeding:

cookiemiller.tripod.com

Tycho
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being

Supreme Being (606 reputation)Supreme Being (606 reputation)Supreme Being (606 reputation)Supreme Being (606 reputation)Supreme Being (606 reputation)Supreme Being (606 reputation)Supreme Being (606 reputation)Supreme Being (606 reputation)Supreme Being (606 reputation)

I honestly don't see how a test can make an animal healthy... it can determine whether or not the dog is healthy but can't make them anymore so.

Corgis aren't just dogs, they're companions.